I have had a sweater sitting in my wardrobe, unworn for about a year now. It took FOUR YEARS to knit. Because I could not follow the instructions, because it was too hard, because as I knit it, in my bones, I knew it wasn’t working. But did I listen to me? NOooo. I made it, sewed it up, blocked it. Tried it on, then never wore it again. A couple of weekends ago I went to see my family in Murchison, my mother has a particularly large sweater that drooped in funny places that she needed to unravel aswell. So we rip rip RIPPED together. The result, a new batch of yarn to use on a project we will actually wear!
As a side note, I mentioned on twitter that I smashed the coffee plunger one morning, I was particularly ruffled by this because i had JUST knit the silliest cozy to keep it warm in the cold winter months. This story does have a happy ending, i found another plunger, made FULLY out of stainless steel, that fits it perfectly. Sigh of relief… The yarn was a lone ball in a stash my friend Jess off loaded before moving to Auckland.
Ravlery project notes: I found a random ball of yarn in my stash that i thought would look OK when I spilt coffee on it. I then knit a tension square and figured out, after measuring the plungers height and diameter, how many stitches across it had to be, then knit until it was tall enough. I added some p2 k2 rib on the top and bottom and a garter stitch edge.