Twitter Google+ Flickr Pinterest

How to add tabs to virtuemart 1.1.3 and joomla 1.5.10

For a website I am working on using Joomla and Virtuemart I needed Tabs in the product details area. Here is what i found and it worked with very little hassle.

1. Install and activate these plugins:

Magic tabs

In magic tabs  plugin manager select the default mode to be “ID” and save.

Scriptgrator

Just activate

2. In your product description have you content divided like so:

{magictabs mode=manually}
TAB 01::Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetuer nec eu magna consequat volutpat. Ut porttitor purus hendrerit nibh id sit id ultrices eu netus. Et eros cursus Sed sit adipiscing Vivamus ut magna Nulla nibh.
||||
TAB 02::Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetuer nec eu magna consequat volutpat. Ut porttitor purus hendrerit nibh id sit id ultrices eu netus. Et eros cursus Sed sit adipiscing Vivamus ut magna Nulla nibh.
||||
TAB 03::Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetuer nec eu magna consequat volutpat. Ut porttitor purus hendrerit nibh id sit id ultrices eu netus. Et eros cursus Sed sit adipiscing Vivamus ut magna Nulla nibh.
{/magictabs}

tabs in joomla virtuemart

tabs in joomla virtuemart

Viola! I will start blogging on my website adventures now and then I have decided. Really getting into the cool jobs now, so would like to share what i find for those that may find it useful.

12 Comments on "How to add tabs to virtuemart 1.1.3 and joomla 1.5.10"

• Kurt says

Do you find virtuemart as frustrating to work on as I do?

• Simone says

MMMmm, its def not the worst one i have ever worked with. I can think of one that was pretty fragile. After working on lots of sites, it gets easier knowing where everything is. But i suppose thats half the problem, everything is everywhere! But i like that its open source, the support and plugin/modules for everything. Its also MUCH easier to find a developer who will work with it… 🙂

• Kurt says

Got any examples of sites you’ve added it to? I find it really hard to find decent examples or virtuemart shops.

• Simone says

Not ready to show yet, but the screen shot i took is of it working…. i will post the site once its finished.

• Aerocaria says

Worked like a charm Simone…. Thank you very much… you just save my day :))

• Usman says

Thanks a lot Simone… The trick worked like a charm… you are genius!!! you saved me a lot of hours…

• luciffere says

Not work for me joomla 1.1.10 and vm 1.1.3 (I not use default vm template).

• luciffere says

For work must enable mambots in VM, and made some modifications inadministrator\components\com_virtuemart\html\shop.product_details.php arrount line 444:
    change: echo $tpl->fetch( ‘/product_details/’.$flypage . ‘.php’ );

with: /*Custom mod to alow plugin to scan yout product detail template*/
    $template = $tpl->fetch( ‘/product_details/’.$flypage . ‘.php’ );
    $template = vmCommonHTML::ParseContentByPlugins( $template );
    echo $template;
    /*end custom mod*/

And now work….

• Alex says

Thanks for the post. However, I followed your solution step-by-step but nothing happens for me – the text and markup just appears in the product description. Is there something else I need to install?

• Simone says

OK, so I more of a designer than a techy programmer person, so tend to just see if things work and flag them when they don’t! BUT, I have approved some comments on the blog for someone who didn’t have the right version of joomla, maybe the solution for you is there? It only works for the versions i have in the header, they were using another method of tabbing that didn’t work when the CMS and Shop were updated, hense why i found the solution i posted about.

As far as i know (although its a redesign i have been working on.. so the site has a whole history I am unaware of) thats all you need to do. But when i am next in there i will have a look and see what i can see. Let you know if anything pops up that might help.

• nkdweb says

Hi,

I have tried your solution and it is not working, where i can find the updated about this

• Omar Rodríguez says

Hi,

I’ve found a solution, completing a part of luciffere’s code.

Modificating in
    administrator\components\com_virtuemart\html\shop.product_details.php at last part.

echo $tpl->fetch( ‘/product_details/’.$flypage . ‘.php’ );

with:

$template = $tpl->fetch( ‘/product_details/’.$flypage . ‘.php’ );
    $template = vmCommonHTML::ParseContentByPlugins( $template );
    echo JHTML::_(‘content.prepare’, $template);

I hope it will be usefull.

Salu2